January 9, 2018 – Bowling Green Area Lodging Association Meeting Minutes
Financial Report- Joy Jolly
- Invoices have been sent out for Membership
- Due on tax day! The date is noted on the invoice
National Corvette Museum:
- New racing simulator! It is $10 for 4 minutes
- 1 of the 10 attractions nominated for the top attraction in Kentucky. Voting ends this week! Visit the Corvette museum Facebook page to vote and to help them keep the top spot!
Convention and Visitors Bureau:
- Sports: Mid-south conference is adding basketball and archery in 2019
- PR: Bowling Green has been named the top place on various lists.
- Marketing: Working on the visitors guides
- Legislative session has started! Be listening for any bills that will directly affect our industry.
- Tri-Five has announced they will become a 3 day event
- Camaro fest has announced they are coming back!
Historic Rail Park:
- Romance at the rail park is February 10th, 11th, and 14th
Sloan Convention Center:
- Medical Health and wellness expo is this weekend!
- Bella Moxi dance competition January 26-28
- February 2nd is the Valentines Dance
Lost River Cave:
- January 27, 2018 at 9 am is the snow flurry scurry! $20 registration ends on January 13, after that it is $35
- The Foundry:
- 67 children got boxes and gifts!
- 5 children were sponsored with toys for Christmas morning.
- The Association provided 37 winter coats
- $350 in gifts cards were donated to families for food
- Books were donated
- Extra school supplies donated
- Hyatt donated pillows
- HIE donated pillow cases
- Various donations of toilet paper, Kleenex, waffle makers, coffee, coffee makers, kuerig, etc.
- If you would like to tour or volunteer just reach out to Elizabeth or Susan in their office.
- Lodging Scholarship: member hotel or attraction that has an employee in school can enter to win the $500 scholarship. Deadline is February 28, 2018.
- Checkered Flag Chase:
- Raised $3100 for the Alzheimer’s Association.
- For 2018: The board decided to put the associations focus in a different direction. Instead it was discussed to put efforts into the Alzheimer’s Walk.
- The Hospitality Olympics as a fundraiser put money into teams to participate in the walk.
- No members were opposed to suspending the Checkered Flag Chase.
- The board would like more involvement from members through the year. So the board would like to dedicate each quarter to a new charity that members are passionate about. Email any ideas and suggestions to the generic Lodging email by the next meeting and members present will vote. This includes every quarter. (Joy was going to send out the email.)
- Logo competition! The board spoke about revamping the logo. Anyone who would like to participate, is more than welcome. Nothing specific requested- just creative and eye catching. Wendy (HGI) asked why the board wants a new logo. Answer: The current logo is too generic. Want something more professional and represents the area.
- Due by the first Monday in February. Voting will take place at the next meeting.